Economics & Business
The Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business—International (AACSB) recently announced that the Department of Economics and Business has been awarded initial accreditation. The department was one of nine programs from five nations to complete the rigorous, multi-year accreditation process and to be admitted to the elite list of colleges this year. The department has entered the ranks of 5 percent of the world’s business programs accredited by AACSB. Read additional information on this accomplishment.
The mission of the Department of Economics and Business is to develop leaders within the framework of the unique VMI mission by offering a rigorous and challenging liberal arts curriculum based on a solid foundation in economic theory, quantitative methods, and management-specific knowledge and skills.
An economics and business degree from VMI can prepare you for almost any leadership position in the 21st Century. Our graduates are well prepared to take on careers in finance, management, marketing, investment, banking, or the military. The EC/BU degree is excellent preparation for graduate work in economics, business, public administration, health administration, or law.
The department’s program goals and learning outcomes were developed with an eye toward matching them with the learning experiences we believe are necessary for future leaders. Our program goals are as follows:
- broad knowledge of economics, quantitative methods, and the functional areas of business [discipline-based skill set];
- the ability to communicate effectively, using oral communications skills [oral communication];
- the ability to communicate effectively, using written communications skills [written communication];
- the necessary skills to lead others in an ethical manner [leadership and ethics];
- the ability to understand information systems and to apply technology to find solutions to a variety of problems [information systems and technology] and;
- the skills to analyze and evaluate information and the ability to use these skills to guide decision making, resulting in effective problem solving [critical thinking].
The following degree and minors / concentration are available in the department of Economics & Business:
With 13 full-time faculty and approximately 200 majors, the department is one of the largest at VMI. EC-BU majors have placed well in both private and public service and the department is proud to be a part of their successes.
A presentation about the accomplishments and future direction of the department can be found here.
Senior Exit Survey 2013
Attention Alumni: Classes of 1997 and 2007, please click here to complete survey.