The facilities and collections of Preston Library are primarily for the use of cadets, faculty, and staff. Borrowing privileges are also extended to the faculty and students of Washington and Lee University and Southern Virginia College and to residents of Rockbridge County. Other visitors are welcome to use the collections and resources in the building.
To check out library materials, please present a VMI ID card (issued to all cadets during their first week and to faculty and staff by Human Resources upon request ) or a library card (issued by circulation staff when any other patron registers).
This feature of the online catalog allows you to access your library record remotely. Circulation staff will be glad to demonstrate.
- You may see what you have borrowed, renew items, place holds, and update your contact information.
- You may also save “Preferred Searches” and be notified when newly acquired materials match your search terms.
- Members of the VMI community use the Colleague ID number to log in. This number appears on pay stubs, and circulation staff can provide it for you. Other patrons may set a PIN at the circulation desk.
Holds and Recalls
If an item you want is checked out by another patron, circulation staff will be happy to recall it and notify you when it is available.
Help Finding Materials
Circulation staff can provide a floor plan of the building and direct you to the materials you find in the library catalog. They will search for materials which are not found in the correct location.
Copies and Transparencies
- Copies are free for VMI cadets, faculty, and staff. This applies to both photocopies and micro copies.
- All other patrons are charged $0.10 per copy, plus tax.
- Circulation staff can make black and white transparencies for $0.40 each, any time the library is open.
- Media Services staff can make color transparencies during their hours of operation.
- Virginia sales tax is added to all payments made at the circulation desk.
For questions concerning Circulation Services, contact Lt. Col. Susan Hastings at 464-7607 or firstname.lastname@example.org.