Broadening Global Perspectives
The Office of International Program (OIP) contributes to VMI's international mission through activities, programs and services designed to support the development of a globally aware, culturally diverse education and research environment. Through the International Students and Scholars Program and VMI Education Abroad, the OIP provides expertise and infrastructure to help expand and sustain global education at VMI.
OIP staff work with the faculty, cadets, staff, and leadership of the Institute to support Vision 2039 which "promotes opportunities to broaden the perspectives of cadets. The Institute's global engagement through its international programs is directed to regions and cultures that are most important to the future of our country. Our focus on interdisciplinary problems with immediate real-world application further develops critical and creative thinking skills."
International Cadet and Scholar Services
- provide advice and counsel to the international cadets and visiting scholars
- serve as a resource in support of international initiatives
- provide programming and services to support the adjustment and integration of international cadets to the US and the VMI community
- guide and advise cadets and VMI personnel on international travel
- provide information about study abroad opportunities
- promote cross-cultural and safety awareness
- assist faculty and administrators in setting up study abroad programs and registering professional travel abroad
The OIP endorses the Statements of Ethics, Professional Competencies and Principles for Programs and Services developed by NAFSA: Association of International Educators and the Standards for Good Practice adopted by the Forum on Education Abroad.