International Military Academy Exchange
Selected VMI Cadets may study at several different foreign military academies. These exchanges provide a truly unique opportunity to experience other cultures and to gain an understanding of foreign military establishments.
- The Lithuanian Military Academy - The relationship between VMI and the Lithuanian Military Academy began in 2001. We now have on ongoing exchange in which a VMI cadet goes to Lithuania during the spring semester while a Lithuanian cadet comes to VMI.
- St. Cyr, the French Military Academy - During each Fall Semester a cadet from Saint-Cyr studies at VMI and in the Spring Semester a VMI cadet studies at Saint-Cyr. The exchange cadets study contemporary and historical issues related to politics and security. A key element of the exchange is the opportunity for the cadets to learn more about each other’s culture and to develop proficiency in the native language. Cadets not only participate in academics, they also participate in military field exercises and physical training.
- The Bundeswehr University at Hamburg- A bilateral exchange agreement with the German Federal Armed Forces University at Hamburg allows two VMI Cadets to study in Germany. Students study in a civilian environment, and live in dormitories on campus. Most courses are taught in German. Candidates go through a competitive selection process and are normally required to have completed two years of college German or demonstrate equivalent mastery to apply. VMI's relationship with Bundeswehr has been rewarding and gives cadets the opportunity to study in Germany.
- L'Ecole Polytechnique - VMI's relationship with L'Ecole Polytechnique may be traced back to the influence of Claudius Crozet, one of VMI's founding fathers and alumnus of L'Ecole Polytechnique. On a case by case basis, VMI is able to send Cadets to study at the prestigious French academy. Students interested in studying at L'Ecole Polytechnique must demonstrate mastery of French and have the highest academic credentials.
- The Hungarian Military Academy -VMI has an exchange program with the Zrinyi Miklos National Defense University in Budapest, Hungary. Each year, Hungarian cadets attend VMI for an entire year and VMI cadets attend the Hungarian Military Academy during the spring semester. Additionally, the Hungarians host VMI cadets for a summer program. VMI cadets live in a dormitory and take specially designed classes that are taught in English and focus on History and International Studies. Cadets may also take Hungarian and German language courses if they wish.
- The University of Salford – The University of Salford is a civilian university in Manchester, England. Each Spring Semester, two VMI cadets will attend Salford and two OTC cadets from Salford will attend VMI. The academic program available at Salford is oriented towards cadets majoring in International Studies, History, and English.
- The Japanese National Defense Academy - VMI began an exchange with JNDA in 2011. Each fall, one cadet from JNDA attends VMI and one VMI cadet attends JNDA in Kangawa, Japan. VMI cadets must be proficient in Japanese as classes are all taught in Japanese.